Manufacturers – twin size double wide granny annex for sale in England

Notes on; The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.
Refer to the actual documents in all cases. This is not legal advice.

Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 c. 62

1- Use within curtilage of a dwellinghouse

This allows the siting of a caravan (mobile home) in the garden of a residential house without the need for planning permission. The use of the caravan must be ‘incidental’ meaning ‘accompanying’ the use of the house and the caravan must be sited in the domestic/residential curtilage or drive, not surround land. It can be used for living purpose but not as a persons separate dwelling.

Conditions: Outside Conservation Area. No new access made. Doesn’t obstruct view of drivers of pedestrians using an adjoining road.

2- Use by a person travelling with a caravan for one or two nights

This allows a person to stay in a caravan for one or two nights on land if no other caravan is stationed there if in the period of one year the caravan is used for ‘human habitation’ no more than twenty-eight days. This is to allow for the overnight stops of travelling people. In such cases is it generally accepted the caravan must be moved, however an ordinary reading of the provisions gives no clear direction within the wording as to whether the caravan needs be moved from season to season.

3- Use of holdings of five acres or more in certain circumstances

Land comprising of at least 5 acres can be used as a caravan site for three caravans providing that in the previous twelve-months the number of days a caravan was stationed anywhere on the land for the purposes of ‘human habitation’ did not exceed twenty-eight.
4 – Sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations

Land occupied by an Exempted Organisation can be used as a caravan site, meaning a caravan can be situated there, if it is for recreation use and the site is supervised by the Organisation. Certificates are issued by the Secretary of State and can be withdrawn at any time. Excepted Organisations include, The Camping Club of Great Britain and Ireland, Caravan Club and the Boy/Girl Guide Associations (others).

5 – Sites approved by exempted organisations

Land can be used as a caravan site where an exempted organisation (as above) has issued a certificate. This allows the stationing of up to five caravans for recreational use for member of the organisation. For example, a landowner can join the Caravan Club and, if the site is approved by the Organisation, Club members can site the five caravans for use. Certificates are often issued by the organisations of a yearly bases and the organisation will normally consult the Local Planning Authority before issuing a new certificate.

6- Meetings organised by exempted organisations

This allows land to be used for meetings under the supervision of an exempted organisation for no more than 5 days. So for example the Boy Scouts Club could stay on land in caravans for a week for an organised gathering.

7&8- Agricultural and forestry workers

This allows agricultural and forestry workers to stay in a caravan whilst conducting agricultural work for a particular season, like fruit picking or lambing and not an activity that occurs at regular intervals thought the year. An ordinary reading of the provisions gives no clear direction within the wording as to whether the caravans need be moved from season to season, only that the use for ‘accommodation’ is seasonal, seek approval from the local planning authorities in all cases.

9- Building and engineering sites

A caravan can be sited on land to accommodate people taking part in authorised building or engineering works on the same or adjoining land. This covers large-scale projects like bridges and roads as well as small scale building projects like self build houses and agricultural buildings. The caravans shall only be used to house workers and not workers families and the caravan must be removed immediately once the building or engineering work is finished, usually within five years.

10 – Travelling showmen

A showman is a person, who produces or presents shows as a profession, esp. the proprietor, manager, or MC of a circus, fair, or other variety show or a person skilled in dramatic or entertaining presentation, performance, or publicity. Land may be used as a caravan site by a showman who is member of a recognised ‘certificated’ organisation, like the Showman’s Guild of Great Britain provided that the showman is travelling for business purpose and not used for winter quarters.